Virtual University of Pakistan

Fall 2013

Term Paper Instructions
As part of your Advanced Algorithms Analysis and Design course grading, you are
required to submit a Term paper during the semester. This exercise is meant to inculcate
in you the research temperament and skills by carrying out a deep study of any research
topic/area relevant to this course. The students may choose any topic, of his/her interest,
relevant to the course. Following are the details of term paper: requirements, phases,
presentation, deadlines and marks.
Term Paper Requirements:
Following are the requirements for the term paper:
a) Paper Length
Your paper should not be less than 6 pages and not more than 10 pages.
b) Quality of Writing
The clarity and style of expression, the degree to which your paper obeys the rules to
formal academic grammar, punctuation, spelling, formatting details like paragraph
indentation and location of page breaks, are part of quality of writing. Write and edit your
paper carefully for good organization, clear language with good spelling, punctuation,
etc.
c) Format
Your term paper must have these sections: Abstract, Introduction, Related Work,
Analysis and Conclusion. You must have to follow IEEE format strictly. The format is
available in MS-WORD format (Click here to download). No term paper will be accepted
without mentioned format.
d) References
You must have to study published research papers (minimum 10). The references of
published research papers and books are allowed. Any unauthorized materials’ references
will not be acceptable.
You can access Research Papers on your VULMS account using link [HEC Digital Library],
Google Scholar and other online free research paper repositories.
Submission and Deadlines
Students are required to finalize and send term paper topic at the course email address
(cs702@vu.edu.pk) by November 18, 2013.
Students will be required to submit the term paper in two phases:
Phase 1
 During the first phase, students are required to submit the initial draft of the paper. This
initial draft will be evaluated by the instructor and comments/suggestions will be
provided for improvements in it. It is not necessary to submit the complete paper at the
end of the first phase; however, in this phase students must submit a draft which has:

1

Warning: Write in your own words. do not copy paste. Team Two students can make a group but in that case their paper must be of high quality justifying the effort put in by two persons. Phase 2 due date (well before Final examination): The date for the final term paper submission will be announced later. therefore it must contain implementation results of the proposed research idea. Marks The total weightage of the term paper is 15% and it will be evaluated twice (once for each phase). in case of a review paper the “Discussion” section must contain student’s comments/conclusions and future research agenda regarding the domain being reviewed. For further information and guidelines on writing a research paper. he/she will be awarded 10% extra marks. you will be awarded zero marks. after the midterm examination.Virtual University of Pakistan Fall 2013 o o Abstract (not more than 150 words) with at least 3-4 keywords Term paper outline in the form of various sections. Phase 1 Due Date: December 16. Students must. Term Paper Presentation (Phase 1 only) Students will be required to give presentation on the first phase of the term paper. Each section must contain the summary (may be in bullets form) of the section. put substantial effort during both the phases. If a student’s term paper gets accepted at any local/international conference. The detailed schedule for the presentations will be communicated with the students later. As the term paper carries 15% of the total course grade. please follow the link: Guidelines and Requirements for Writing a Research Paper 2 . In case plagiarism is found. This presentation accounts for 5% marks of the total course grade. The first phase carries 5% marks while the second phase carries 10% marks. For further understanding about plagiarism. No excuse will be accepted in this regard. 2013 (before the mid-term exam). please follow the links: Little Book of Plagiarism HEC Policy about plagiarism. students are required to refine/enhance the initial draft by following the provided comments/suggestions and submit the final version before the final exam. Plagiarism is not acceptable. therefore. Phase 2  During the second phase. Similarly.